Check out this super tasty and spicy, tilapia fish recipe.
- 2 fresh tilapias
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 freshly grated coconut OR ¼ can of coconut milk, or 1 pouch condensed coconut milk
- 2 tbsp of oil
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
Ingredients: GREEN MARINADE
- 2 to 3 garlic gloves
- 1 handful of coriander
- 2 green chillis
- Remove the heads of the fish, wash and fillet them. (You can either do this yourself at home or get your fishmonger to do it for you. Marinate the tilapia fish in half the chilli powder, half the turmeric, salt, and the green marinade ingredients and set aside for at least three-quarters of an hour.
- Place the chopped onion in a dry pan on medium heat until it begins to crisp up. Then place in food processors with the grated coconut and whizz up. Add a little water if it won’t whizz properly or use the plunger. It should make a fine paste.
- Heat the oil and asafoetida in a large pan
- Add the cloves of garlic with their skins on to the oil until the garlic turns a soft brown. Add the other half of the turmeric and red chilli powder and then the coconut and onion paste. Stir it all together for a couple of minutes and keep adding water until it has the consistency of gravy.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 7 to 8 minutes on low heat.
- Add the fish and cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Serve with a bowl of white rice.